It has been a long time since the snacks and coffee place "To Kafeneio" has been housed in a 400+ years old building. It was occasionally the main residence of many famous and unknown Greek people. It consists of the ground floor and the underground floor. In the past it was separated in two parts; the front part (up to the fireplace) and the rear part (the rest), thus having two separate residences. It is witnessed that before the German occupation (1940 - 1944) the children who lived in this neighbourhood used to gather and play in the rear part while the owners of the building kept their chickens at the edge of the rear part.
Events & Blog
Stay up to date with us
The Guardian mentions To Kafeneio as one of the nice spots in Athens. Read the full article at https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/mar/04/spotted-by-locals-city-tips
"To Kafeneio" honours our ancestors by creating a celestial dome on its ceiling, similar to the sky of Athens. On the 13th of August 2004 takes place the ceremony for the beginning of the ATHENS 2004 OLYMPIADE,
New York Times, the most famous newspaper world wide, refers to the "To Kafeneio" in an article about ouzo. The article covers the methods of production of ouzo an suggests to the visitors of Athens the top 5